Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2008, 12:50   #16

You can do what I did when on another forum a bunch of the wise ass regulars did exactly that, total hijack of a thread I started.. I left..

If it had been an isolated incident I wouldn't have been so peeved, But these jokers regularly hi-jack a thread and then carry on a back and forth bs totally ignoring the original post. They make a big game out of it. Trying to see who can be the funniest. I went back after a few weeks after blowing up and saying good riddance and I was simply amassed at the justifications put forth for their behavior. 90% of the folks didn't think I should have had a problem!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 15:51   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You can do what I did when on another forum a bunch of the wise ass regulars did exactly that, total hijack of a thread I started.. I left..
That's what is handled so well here by the admins. Very infrequently do you see the, "You've got three posts and I have 3,000 so you are an idiot" posts.

There is history and there are regulars but everyone is welcome to join the fray.

I am OK with hijacks - I do it myself too much - as the banter is nice. I usually try to wait until the question has been anwered at least a couple of times as the OP is always looking for info first.

But usually when you get to 15-20 posts the original question is done and it's all about opinions at that point.

The banter is nice - Kinda like the virtual rum bar.

I hate personal attacks. It shows lack or pursuasive ability, lack of wit and mean spiritness.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 15:57   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:

If it had been an isolated incident I wouldn't have been so peeved, But these jokers regularly hi-jack a thread and then carry on a back and forth bs totally ignoring the original post. They make a big game out of it. Trying to see who can be the funniest. I went back after a few weeks after blowing up and saying good riddance and I was simply amassed at the justifications put forth for their behavior. 90% of the folks didn't think I should have had a problem!
Bet I know which forum that is and I too left a long time ago.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 18:39   #19

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
From what I've experienced, it is generally a good balance of feedom to express but no personal attacks and gentle reminders to get back on thread or start a new one,
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 18:59   #20

HIJACK WARNING

Thank our mods regularly
Their job will only get harder.

Heres the stats from another non boat board I belong to
Threads: 544,456, Posts: 6,776,529, Members: 109,734

we're incredibly civilized for our size.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 21:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It's a tuff job and we get it wrong sometimes. The "team" appreciate the support we get as sometimes the odd one or two can make it difficult. But overall, I think we have a reasonable balance in the way we keep the board ticking.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:32   #22

...there is the golden rule " them that has the gold makes the rule" but this is a non paying site so it has to be the other one...the "work to rule rule"...that is "them that does the work makes the rules" and you know I would join you wheels ,but you know how it is , bit busy and all that, nice sort of a day really, and I really should be doing that maintenance, and well I did promise that we would go for a sail and.....well you know how it is.... : ) (( it is a great site cause theres plenty of shockers to compare it by...thanks))
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53   #23

Boat: Hunter 22' Knot Enuff
As several folks have pointed out, it's free so we get out of it what we put into it.
Having said that, one other forum that I belong to has a group of people that refer to themselves as "Asses Full of Crap". I am a proud member of that bunch who tend to be very opioninated and not very PC. You know that up front when you participate in that thread.
THIS forum seems a little more laid back which is great. There seems to be an awfull lot of knowledge out there to be shared and this is what it is all about. The thing to remember is that everybody has their own soapbox and opinion. We all get sensitive when someone steps on our toes. When this happens let it go. They probably didn't mean to attack you, they just have their own strong opinion.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27   #24
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I understand and agree with everyone's desire to keep this a free and open forum. I just get frustrated when people attack each other personally and move from thread to thread doing so.
I must have missed all the action.
Got any examples, or link to such threads?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

uh... hopefully not
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07   #26

Boat: 1975 Cobalt 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

That's pretty funny, maybe a little pot stirring? Just kidding, the Mods/Admins do a really good job overall. As has been said before, there are just too many people/threads/post to be monitored and the occational taboo is going to slip through. As responsible members it is our job to help out said mods/admins when we can.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:51   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
That's pretty funny, maybe a little pot stirring?
Not really. Just not aware of any threads that had numerous personal attacks, or for that matter aware of anybody jumping around from thread to thread doing the personal attack thing.

I thought this was a pretty peaceful board....?

Then again, I don't follow every thread, only stuff I care for: Florida/Bahamas, boats and gear, (monohull) etc.

Over at the Lats and Atts board there was always violent infighting about politics and such, not much on cruising...Perhaps some of those guys have moved over here..?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Over recent years I have seen the odd one or two names come across from L&A to here. I have seen a pleasantly different side to many of them. A few of the trouble makers have had a look in and high tailed it back. I think those few seem to enjoy groveling around in the bilge over there. L&A was the first site I ever viewed. I watched it break apart and the formation of Renegades. I watched and learnt' a lot from that bust up and have endevoured to not allow the same to happen here. It all started with a misunderstanding over a very simple "Red X" and some board members assuming it was censorship and the resulting communications were out of hand and down right rude. Keeping a handle on rudness on this site has been it's saving grace, even though I know it has upset a few as they have thought there "freedom of speach" has been reigned in.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02   #29

blocking

Quote:

Since I've been blocked from CF after "a small kitchen fire" during one of my visits, could you kindly share this site with me....I'll miss Sully though...he was really funny...and those Aussies and Kiwis!....
Lorianne Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 15:42   #30
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Thanks, admins!

S/V Elusive pulled the very first post I put in here (a rant about a problem I was having with a vendor). Then immediatly sent me a PM nicely explaining why. It's great that there is this strong desire to have a nice atmosphere. That's why I decided to stick around.

Thanks, admins!

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote