Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07   #16

Re: Anyone Else Have this Problem on CF?

I agree Win 98 was the best. Then they started trying to "think for you". I currently run Avast and Malware bytes weekly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional

If a hammer doesn't fix it, it's probably an electrical problem; in which case you need a larger hammer, preferably insulated. Hooray for windoze! Say, you haven't got one of those smooth scrolling addons like I have for firefox? That caused me no end of cursoring with forum posts until I figured out what the problem was. Other than that, I have no idea without being at your keyboard. What mode are you posting in? The fastest/simplest, or the full ducks guts WISYWIG mode?
Old 07-02-2013, 15:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
If a hammer doesn't fix it, it's probably an electrical problem; in which case you need a larger hammer, preferably insulated. Hooray for windoze! Say, you haven't got one of those smooth scrolling addons like I have for firefox? That caused me no end of cursoring with forum posts until I figured out what the problem was. Other than that, I have no idea without being at your keyboard. What mode are you posting in? The fastest/simplest, or the full ducks guts WISYWIG mode?
Not a techy when it comes t o computers..no idea what you're talking about!! thanks though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:43   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Anyone else have this problem on CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, what browser and OS are you using? The last time I had those issues was when I still had a Windows PC. I have never seen this behaviour with Safari on iPad or Mac.

On most OS'ses the edit-mode is the OS, not the browser, i.e. the browser calls an OS function for the edit.

Soooo, I stand by my previous remark that this is typical for Windows PC's. You can try different browsers and when they act the same you should be convinced it is an OS call.

Can't disagree. Could be another Windows issue. Newish Toshiba with Windows 7, wasn't game enough to try Windows 8.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:50   #20

Boat: OEM, proportional

The WYSIWIG thing is simply the mode in which you compose and submit your forum posts. At the top right of the text entry box you see a little button marked "Switch Editor Mode" when you hover your cursor over it. WYSIWIG means "what you see is what you get", apparently it gives you full control over the formatting of your post...and after the first couple of tries and the disasters it spat out, I never used it again.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone Else Have this Problem on CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not a techy when it comes t o computers..no idea what you're talking about!! thanks though!
lolol.... cookies and spybot with the free avast is the limit of my knowledge too... every time I'm getting the hang of it its off to sea and everythings changed again when I get back... n I gotta relearn

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:36   #22

I have all sorts of problems with the CF forum, but not other forums, even ones using the same forum software.

I hoped this would be resolved when I went to a new laptop and a new OS (now XPx64; previously Win2k)

The two main problems I have are

1) pages of posts which are truncated

2) posts of mine which get the carriage returns stripped out.

I can usually fix the first by editing the URL (eg get rid of "new post", or #post1149897 or whatever) and refreshing, but not always

And in the second case I have to edit and wearily reinsert all the carriage returns (using the ENTER key)

I haven't struck the exact problem described by the OP, though, I agree it does sound a bit like a dodgy keyboard sending a spurious keystroke - or more accurately keyhold (but my guess is SHIFT, rather than Control - the latter causes the cursor to skip from word to word, not to highlight blocks of characters as described. On rereading his post, neither seems to fill the bill- it actually sounds more like a sort of delayed-acting double-click)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:40   #23

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Sounds like a typical Windows PC to me
Is this a political statement?
Old 07-02-2013, 16:41   #24

Cheechako:

Thinking about this a bit more: it is a laptop that you're using (to be sure?)

If so, I wonder if your heel of your palm is brushing the trackpad when you go to type, and sending a double-click message which causes the word to highlight.

I set my laptop to ignore the trackpad whenever a mouse is plugged in, because of these sorts of annoying misinterpretations when I'm trying to just type.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:47   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Is this a political statement?

No, it's more nostalgic because I still remember those trouble filled days before the switch to Apple. Even Safari on an iPhone does not have the problems mentioned here
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14   #26

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:

No, it's more nostalgic because I still remember those trouble filled days before the switch to Apple. Even Safari on an iPhone does not have the problems mentioned here
Agreed! I got the wife an iPad and I got the Eee Pad (droid) to see the difference. First diff that I noticed was the Eee Pad came WITH the gps function at half the price of the standard(wifi only) iPad. But.........the iPad is more `stable`. Droids will do on a budget, but Apple has the better product!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32   #27

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Yep- all good with my Mac; lunacy with windows. But I usually read the forum with kindle fire (aneroid) and not only does it change words but when I type the first letter into search box it disappears-so cant search within cf.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
First dump your cache. That can fix quite a few issues, no matter the OS.

You can change editors via the button up to the right. You need to be in the advanced editor (go advanced) not the quick reply.

Does this only happen in the advanced editor (you hit go advanced OR quote) or does it happen in the quick edit as well?

This might be a hardware issue, it might be a browser/OS issues, or it might be a malware (or misbehaving ware) issue.

It is unlikely to be an actual forum issue in the way that we have something wrong. It is most likely something with your PC doesn't like something we are doing, and that is a broad brush.

If you are unhappy with Windows but don't want to buy new hardware just go grab Kubuntu/Ubuntu (I prefer the KDE desktop over Gnome/Unity) and run it. If you still need Windows Virtual Box rocks.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote