Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 10:43   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Annoying popups appear constantly on this forum with iPad. Please fix!

I admit to signing up for it also, then thought, uh-oh did I do something stupid?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:05   #17

Boat: CHB 50

I think I'll get my boating fix at the other sites for awhile until this is fixed. It is absolutely annoying and worse yet it's one of those that blocks out the entire page and is coded to bypass/ignore my browsers pop-up blocker. Whoever the company is that thinks they are going to sell a product by pissing off thousands of potential customers must be simply brain dead. Makes you wonder what other evil tricks they might pull once they have you signed up for their crap.
Krawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:14   #18

Turning off javascript in browser settings/tools stops the popups on the forum.

But you gotta have javascript on to follow boatman's spot page or shop for boats on yachtworld or craigslist.

Like the first poster said, seems like a lot of user bother when it could be a quick code change.
cattar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:16   #19

Please tell whoever is working on this that BOTH popups (because there is an annoying iPad app popup too) need to be set to appear maybe one time per session at the most based on the users IP. By the way, this is normally a one minute fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Yes it is. I signed up, and the popups went away. However, it is annoying as hell to many members, and we as mods are feverishly working behind the scenes to get this resolved.

Bear with us.... we are frustrated also.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:27   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

The pop-up is generated by the forum to encourage folks to sign up for a news feed to their inbox. You should be able to dismiss it (click the little X) in the upper right corner) and then not see it again.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:42   #21

It’s spam! It’s never ok to use popups NEVER

if the only way you can get someone to read something is to FORCE it on them is it really something I want to read in the first place?

The sad part is if they really wanted to fix it they could remove it in about 30 seconds “snip out offending code” click save wala!

But no they obviously believe in the gorilla marketing the silly users don’t know what they want.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:43   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The pop-up is generated by the forum to encourage folks to sign up for a news feed to their inbox. You should be able to dismiss it (click the little X) in the upper right corner) and then not see it again.
Unhappily it jump up at random change of a page, refreshment of the page and so on...
I closed this thing some twenty times during last hour
And I have a pop-up blocker up and running...

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hang on folks - we're working on this....

Old 14-10-2014, 12:01   #24

Yes we understand the reasons why you have them but the problem is that when I'm on my iPad I can NOT block those TWO popups and every time I go to another page on this forum they BOTH popup again. So like I said in the post that started this thread: If I visit 10 pages on my iPad then I have to click the little X 20 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:06   #25

Sounds like an Ipad problem...

J/K! Not really...

I use Chrome and installed their adblock plus extension. I don't get any ads on any webpages, ever. Do they have Chrome for Ipads? I'm a PC/Android guy myself, so I don't know much about Ipads.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:23   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those on ipad, this issue should be resolved and it was our error. You may have to clear your browser cache to resolve this locally but we believe this is fixed. You will need to dismiss the modal once and then it should not appear again. When you dismiss it, a cookie is set to prevent it from re-appearing.

Again, the box is a sign up option for the new news feed and not malware or spam or advertising. We have loads of folks who have asked for a feed like this and as it also is available to lurkers (not registered), it should encourage forum participation.

Old 14-10-2014, 13:01   #27

Janet H, I think perhaps you are not seeing the same problem as everyone else ....

As others have said, this box comes up EVERY TIME YOU MOVE TO A NEW PAGE. When you click on the x it closes it .... until you move to a new page and then it's back. And I can understand that some people want this 'feed' but I do not. I'm not willing to sign up to something I don't want, just because it seems the only way of getting rid of an annoying pop up!
Regattah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:07   #28

I have been lurking on this forum and visiting its sponsors for years.

Why the pop-up content may not be spam in nature its delivery method is.
I understand your reluctant to remove it someone did a great job on the graphic obviously put a lot of work in to it. a+ on your graphic artistic abilities.

I still believe in the “Don't be evil" policy. The pop-up may be visually appealing. It’s none the less annoying. I am a firm believer that problematic advertising tricks can undermine a site's credibility.

Big NO NOs in add placement
Pops-up in front of your window
Tries to trick you into clicking on it
Does not have a "Close" button
Covers what you are trying to see
Doesn't say what it is for
Moves content around
Occupies most of the page
Blinks on and off
Floats across the screen
Automatically plays sound
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I downloaded the iPad app, but quickly stopped using it due to these annoying popups.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:33   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

it looks like this issue only affected iPad users and I beleive this issue has been resolved. When you First come to the site you will see it but if you dismiss it, you should not see it again.

When you click to dismiss the box, a cookie is set so that the server remembers your preference. If you have disabled cookie exchange with the site the box appears again, however.

Here's some help with this from Apple : Safari web settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Quote:
Block cookies

To set whether Safari blocks cookies in iOS 8, tap Settings > Safari > Block Cookies and choose "Always Allow," "Allow from websites I visit," "Allow from Current Websites Only," or "Always Block." In iOS 7 or earlier, choose "Never," "From third parties and advertisers," or "Always."

A cookie is a piece of data that a website puts on the device. Using cookies, the website can remember you when you visit again, and the webpage can be customized for you based on information you may have provided. Some pages might not work unless you accept cookies.
Many site features don't work (including staying logged in) if you have blocked cookie exchange with the site but it's worth noting that you can enable this on a site by site basis.

The duplicate box was our set up error, and I'm sorry for that. We've done our level best to address the issue and believe that it has been resolved.

Tags
Ipad, lease, rum