Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 07:16   #16

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: An idea - a "Missing Yachts" sub forum?

Nice work on the register DOJ. I think you'll get a lot of interest in this.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 07:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Great idea David!

Link for your website:
International Boat Watch Network - (Introduction)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:03   #18

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Great idea!!!

My two cents. It would be nice to track the total number of offshore/ocean crossings per year in order to come up with rough estimates of risk.

My sense is that real risk is much higher than people perceive. For example, if the total number of yachts crossing the North Atlantic for 2013 is 500 and the number of boats missing this year is 3 then that is equivalent to 600 missing boats per 100,000 crossings. This number is roughly 100 times greater than the world murder rate.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:03   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

You asked for critiquing? How about an over due column.

Or actually a date range vessel was expected to make land fall
Old 13-08-2013, 08:50   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
You asked for critiquing? How about an over due column.

Or actually a date range vessel was expected to make land fall
Actually I didn't , but seeing as you kindly offered..........

"Your comments are appreciated and will be carefully considered, before no action is taken" (C) CF

Actually that not far off the truth ,..............I did consider an overdue column but that date not always clear (even in the Nina thread / story which I followed closely am still not sure exactly when she was due - as largely a matter of opinion).....at the moment I have settled for a Departure date (or month) and whether Overdue / Missing and leave folks to work out for selves whether overdue or not.....in practice that likely to only be a grey area early on in the story as either will be still missing long after, or have been found (months go past quickly on the internet! - and this is never intended to be a live resource)........and of course by implication, if she is on The Lost Yacht Register then she ain't early!)

I suspect most use as a memory jogger for folks who recall half the story and wonder what ever happened to the boat / crew, plus being of general interest on numbers / types of boats (albeit I doubt the numbers will ever be enough to generate any reliable statistics - I hope not!, plus I will not be recording how many Journeys are made across oceans every year!, as a) not possible as no records exist to collate and b) even if it was I can't be bothered!

Scope for a little bit of expansion, maybe a summary of events if none elsewhere? But a link to CF (or similar) would do the trick for most of that.

Also got to remember that on this stuff there is rarely one definitive source of info, mostly a collection of bits and bobs thrown up from many directions....some reliable sounding and others less so - but none of them easily verifiable (and some not at all)..........and as this is free, only so much (very little!) time and effort that I am able (and willing) to put into something that will never actually help with a live SAR.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:56   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Great idea!!!

My two cents. It would be nice to track the total number of offshore/ocean crossings per year in order to come up with rough estimates of risk.

My sense is that real risk is much higher than people perceive. For example, if the total number of yachts crossing the North Atlantic for 2013 is 500 and the number of boats missing this year is 3 then that is equivalent to 600 missing boats per 100,000 crossings. This number is roughly 100 times greater than the world murder rate.
That would be of interest - don't let me stop you .

But AFAIK no way to do that, as numbers not recorded anywhere to collate......not every country requires a permit to leave .
Old 13-08-2013, 09:00   #22

Boat: Skookum 53'

You could add a page, and cruisers that are making crossings of any sort could register, vessel particulars, voyage length etc... and then set up a tote board take bets on how long the crossing would actually take. Kind of like OTB.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:15   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Actually I didn't , but seeing as you kindly offered..........

"Your comments are appreciated and will be carefully considered, before no action is taken" (C) CF

Actually that not far off the truth ,..............I did consider an overdue column but that date not always clear (even in the Nina thread / story which I followed closely am still not sure exactly when she was due - as largely a matter of opinion).....at the moment I have settled for a Departure date (or month) and whether Overdue / Missing and leave folks to work out for selves whether overdue or not.....in practice that likely to only be a grey area early on in the story as either will be still missing long after, or have been found (months go past quickly on the internet! - and this is never intended to be a live resource)........and of course by implication, if she is on The Lost Yacht Register then she ain't early!)

I suspect most use as a memory jogger for folks who recall half the story and wonder what ever happened to the boat / crew, plus being of general interest on numbers / types of boats (albeit I doubt the numbers will ever be enough to generate any reliable statistics - I hope not!, plus I will not be recording how many Journeys are made across oceans every year!, as a) not possible as no records exist to collate and b) even if it was I can't be bothered!

Scope for a little bit of expansion, maybe a summary of events if none elsewhere? But a link to CF (or similar) would do the trick for most of that.

Also got to remember that on this stuff there is rarely one definitive source of info, mostly a collection of bits and bobs thrown up from many directions....some reliable sounding and others less so - but none of them easily verifiable (and some not at all)..........and as this is free, only so much (very little!) time and effort that I am able (and willing) to put into something that will never actually help with a live SAR.
Funny, I specifically remember reading somewhere, I need Erika's input must be the voices in me head again

I really think this is a great idea, and has potential to be a good resource.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:30   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
You could add a page, and cruisers that are making crossings of any sort could register, vessel particulars, voyage length etc... and then set up a tote board take bets on how long the crossing would actually take. Kind of like OTB.
I could do that, but it would never be complete (so numbers no use for stats) and someone would end up trying to sue me for not having "done something" when I knew (or should have known ) that the boat was overdue.........nonetheless I like the idea of running a game on boats, perhaps a trial run on Boatman's next delivery?

If enough money in it, I could organise a trip on an old wooden schooner with some friends of Jesus ........Remember children, never bet on anything you can't cheat at .
Old 13-08-2013, 09:33   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Funny, I specifically remember reading somewhere, I need Erika's input must be the voices in me head again
I get those as well .

Quote:
I really think this is a great idea, and has potential to be a good resource.
I hope so, but time will tell.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: An idea - a "Missing Yachts" sub forum?

[QUOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1310259]I could do that, but it would never be complete (so numbers no use for stats) and someone would end up trying to sue me for not having "done something" when I knew (or should have known ) that the boat was overdue.........nonetheless I like the idea of running a game on boats, perhaps a trial run on Boatman's next delivery? QUOTE]

Next one could be real boring mate... just a quick hop across the Biscay then a run down to Gib... but... its factory fresh so who knows..
Maybe Atoll... if he gets the Cuxhaven job... that'll be fun across the N Sea and up the Thames..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:56   #27

You could always rig it so that the boat would come in on a day with long odds. A little short wave communication would go a long ways.
Old 13-08-2013, 09:59   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
You could always rig it so that the boat would come in on a day with long odds. A little short wave communication would go a long ways.
That would work . The trick will be not telling anyone .

Doh!
Old 13-08-2013, 10:34   #29

I won't tell!
Old 13-08-2013, 16:36   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

There is already something over here Overdue & Distress Reports - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums but you probably already knew that,
Cheers,
Frank
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sink the Bismarck!