Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 08:11   #106

Re: Adds reach a record high?

remove ads by:
Step 1. install adblock plus.
2. download and enable easylist in adblock plus
2.5 uncheck allow non-intrusive advertising
3. go to options and add this custom filter: "http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/misc.php?"

e voila! no more ads.
Old 31-03-2014, 17:22   #107
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Don't know what you guys are seeing, but I cannot be moved to buy a Rocha or get a tattoo simply by seeing an AD. Still useful for me.
That is irrelevant. As long as someone makes money off the adds they are working for the person getting paid. (not sure if they are getting paid for them just being there or if they need to be clicked on?) I have never clicked a single add either other than to block it.

My point is that putting a ridiculous amount of adds on a forum with high traffic like this will probably make good money. But IMO its short sighted and not sustainable as it will restrict new users and push existing ones away. Seems subtlety will be a better long term plan. Some people might also say that a severe bombardment of adds could be seen as taking advantage of a long standing any loyal user group. After all a forum is only as good as its members.
Old 31-03-2014, 17:58   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Awesome! I will look into that.
just did it. We'll see. Tired of the cartoon of the guy about to hurl.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:28   #109

Wow, I see the new ads now that I'm back on a laptop rather than an ipad. Even adblocker isn't filtering them. So what exactly did my $25/year supporting membership get me?

This is really getting annoying. I think it's time to move on from Cruisers forum. Thanks, it's been great, but there are less obnoxious places to talk about boats. I don't care if Capt Jack Sparrow likes some dumb-**** water filter or whatever the ad is peddling.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:54   #110

Boat: Irwin 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
remove ads by:
Step 1. install adblock plus.
2. download and enable easylist in adblock plus
2.5 uncheck allow non-intrusive advertising
3. go to options and add this custom filter: "http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/misc.php?"

e voila! no more ads.
perfect....thank you for the detailed instructions - works great so far!!!!
Old 31-03-2014, 20:34   #111

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I see zero adverts.

I pay the annual fee to be a supporter, and I can live with that. I run Windows 7 and browse with Firefox and Adblockplus (no configuration was required).

After being away for several weeks I did see ads between some posts, but a quick look in my profile (Edit Options) showed the Vendor Ads toggle was ON. Switched it off and no more ads again.
Old 31-03-2014, 20:39   #112

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Wow, I see the new ads now that I'm back on a laptop rather than an ipad. Even adblocker isn't filtering them. So what exactly did my $25/year supporting membership get me?

This is really getting annoying. I think it's time to move on from Cruisers forum. Thanks, it's been great, but there are less obnoxious places to talk about boats. I don't care if Capt Jack Sparrow likes some dumb-**** water filter or whatever the ad is peddling.
Hey Twisted, it's only 15.01$ per year, not 25! Please get your whining facts right.

Jim
Old 31-03-2014, 21:25   #113

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Just a few bucks for all this knowledge is not so bad. Yeah stinks need a PayPal account but, to ask questions, maybe meet others, find a deal, get saved in the middle of a trip, all the experienced professional knowledge after sorting through comedy, and all that is here and how active it is.... just a Meer sack of sheels. Can't go to school on 15.01 and learn....

wondering around with no destionation
Old 01-04-2014, 03:08   #114

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
perfect....thank you for the detailed instructions - works great so far!!!!
I have yet to do it, but I wanted to say thank you again. Great instructions. I wrote them down, too! Yeah for hard copy!

Ann

And bump!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23   #115
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Ads reach a record high - MERGED

Threads merged. The less threads on this the better hey?

Also all my adds came back and I had to fiddle with the settings again. Not something I want to do often.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:39   #116

Boat: Orca 38

This and other disappointing changes are bound to drive traffic away from this site. Believe it, or not, owners choice as always in business. Listen to your clients though and pay heed.

I've found myself drawn to other sites lately and have actually run into some old friends there that haven't been here for a while now. There seems to be a consensus building.

Anyway........have fun kids, it's all good!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:40   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As I wrote elsewhere, no one here is saying they don't want Andy to make a descent coin. Just the opposite in fact. What some of us are saying is that this new approach is impeding our use of this service.
+1

Since this is a private space that is owned and operated to make a profit (I presume ... it could be run philanthropically as a non-profit), it's natural for the owner to try and get more money out of us. On that scale, it's good for the contributors/users/customers (who are all one and the same here) to provide feedback to the owner when changes impact negatively. If the changes are reducing the usability of this space, then it is counter-productive. If, on the other hand, profits go up, then the owners have made a smart move, and will likely stick more ads in front of us.

All of this is to say, if you don't like the changes either stop using CF, or use one of the ad blockers. This will deliver the only message markets understand.
Good stuff Mike... I really think the overall message is being translated received as:
"We're whiny children of the "Entitled Society" and we're going to keep crying until we get everything "we think we deserve"

Couldn't be further from the truth... On the other extreme.. Take "Nuk Nuk" who lives on an atoll, and has a 7 bit data package... He saw the Nina drift by, and thought nothing of it.... Because when he tried to see what CF was all about... The bandwith and ad bewilderment caused him to follow the Flyin' Hawaiian over on SA instead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Don't know what you guys are seeing, but I cannot be moved to buy a Rocha or get a tattoo simply by seeing an AD. Still useful for me.
Please PM me... I have 13 inflatable kayaks I need to get rid of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
REDACTED... But IMO its short sighted and not sustainable as it will restrict new users and push existing ones away. Seems subtlety will be a better long term plan. Some people might also say that a severe bombardment of adds could be seen as taking advantage of a long standing any loyal user group. After all a forum is only as good as its members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
just did it. We'll see. Tired of the cartoon of the guy about to hurl.
He looks like one of my last crewmembers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey Twisted, it's only 15.01$ per year, not 25! Please get your whining facts right.

Jim
+1 Jim
Greatest deal on the net...
My tiny brain cannot fathom the "Individual $$$ Cost Benefit" of one aspect, like avoiding a huge mistake... let alone the overall the sum....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:40   #118

Boat: Rafiki 37

I take all this "whining" as a sign of how much we all appreciate CF. I come here for the great access to wise and experiences cruisers, and also for the sheer fun of it. But I am definitely spending more time over at SN these days. It's not quite as active as CF, but there are fewer annoyances, and I appreciate the lighter moderator touch (but that could arbitrarily change too ... it is also a private, commercial space).

I'm still here b/c right now I see no ads at all. Thanks to Adblock Plus and Ghostery I see no ads, and leave no trace here. It's perfect. I still seek out sponsors who stand out for me. I'm currently in the market for a couple of specific items, so will be visiting our sponsors for these. And I contribute where I can. I'm no where near as experienced as many here, but I have some areas where I can knowledgably contribute. Again, if that is not enough for CF, I can be dissapeared. This is a private space, after all.

BTW, advertising does work. Anyone who says it doesn't should read current behavioural economic research. As Dan Ariely says, we are all predictably irrational. The only sure way to not be affected by advertising is to avoid it.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

After nearly 120 posts on the subject it is time to move on .

Frustrations have been vented and solutions discussed in detail.

In case anyone missed the instructions, it is very easy for CF Supporters to make most of the ads disappear (including all of the latest ones annoying people).

Just go to 'Edit Options' in 'UserCP' and near the bottom select 'Off' for 'Vendor Ads Toggle' .

All CF Supporters have the capacity to do this.

Cheers,
SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread

Tags
record