Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 18:36   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
re: Ads reach a record high - MERGED

Maybe that explains the thread's title?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 25-03-2014, 20:10   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am a person who is negatively motivated by advertising. I almost never look at any ad intentionally, even in magazines. I have not done so around 1974. Moving or flashing ones are quite annoying.

Uninvasive advertising might be a tool I might use, but not via the internet insofar as possible and always assuming there are alternatives. But then I remove cookies frequently and do not participate in FB.

I belong to the group of regular contributors who feel that the time and energy I put into my posts should be treated "in kind" am not interested in paying money for the privelege of making thoughtful posts.

The subject of who's getting what advertising is interesting. I've been getting one's from people who sell anchors (thanks, but I already have what I want; but I did contribute to an anchoring thread); about 3 a day from humanitarian organizations requesting donations -- the entrepreneurs in the sky know that I once purchased a book by the Dalai Lama from Amazon, that's probably the source for that; AIS Watchmate, which moves (already have an AIS, not interested in another); and others I've totally blocked from my consciousness. I have neither purchased cookware nor receive cookware ads.

The ads definitely cut down on potential contribution time, though, due to their being somewhat distracting, so that one's focus is disrupted.

Respectfully,

Ann
Old 25-03-2014, 21:10   #33

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Capt Phil on this one! What adds?? I have them, but never see them! I think the Mantas anchor add is the only one I have ever looked at !
Old 25-03-2014, 23:34   #34

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Some of them are bloody big.
Old 25-03-2014, 23:40   #35

If you're interested in how online advertising works via tracking, look up "Retargeting" or "Stalker Ads" -

It's definitely the wave of the future when it comes to internet marketing...

Nothing is free on the internet. You are either paying with the acceptance of advertisements, or paying with cash. If it's neither, then you probably just got malware...
Old 26-03-2014, 07:00   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
...I belong to the group of regular contributors who feel that the time and energy I put into my posts should be treated "in kind" am not interested in paying money for the privelege of making thoughtful posts.
I'm with Ann on this. There is no such thing as free, but the value in this site comes from people like Ann who take the time to populate it with useful content.

This is a private space so I have no real problem with the owners trying to maximize their income. That's what private enterprises do. But effective businesses listen to their clients. It's hard to know how many people are sufficiently annoyed by these ads to move on. I know I now spend more time over at SN. If enough people move away, the owners will listen. If not, then the owners will understand that all is well.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:23   #37

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm with Ann on this. There is no such thing as free, but the value in this site comes from people like Ann who take the time to populate it with useful content.

This is a private space so I have no real problem with the owners trying to maximize their income. That's what private enterprises do. But effective businesses listen to their clients. It's hard to know how many people are sufficiently annoyed by these ads to move on. I know I now spend more time over at SN. If enough people move away, the owners will listen. If not, then the owners will understand that all is well.
+1 on that..
Old 26-03-2014, 07:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
If you're interested in how online advertising works via tracking, look up "Retargeting" or "Stalker Ads" -

It's definitely the wave of the future when it comes to internet marketing...

Nothing is free on the internet. You are either paying with the acceptance of advertisements, or paying with cash. If it's neither, then you probably just got malware...
Use Ghostery or DNT+ Stops the overseer's from knowing what you do and where you go. Alternately, use Epic or Tor as a browser instead of the ones given to you by those who track you and serve you ads. Block flash content and the internet world becomes terrific!

There is an ad-free and tracker-free internet experience out there - you just have to go to it. I haven't seen ads in a decade, and am shocked whenever I glance at a Windows user using Explorer. I don't know how they all don't have epilepsy fits using it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:45   #39

BTW, once you use a tracker and beacon blocker, you will be shocked at who is tracking you and the extent to which it is being done (these log all that info for you to see).

Mark

Old 26-03-2014, 07:49   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just updated my AdBlock. With a little effort the ads are gone again. Ghostery for snooper and tracker blocking, adblock for the annoying ads. We're all good .

It's natural for whom ever owns this site to try and make some money. This is a private space, and we live in a capitalist world. I think I've read he/she is a cruiser. I hope this site is funding his/her life. I also assume the owners are not bothered by those of us who contribute, but choose not to be pestered by the ads, to use ad blockers.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:54   #41

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is a private space so...
What so many of us fail to realize is there is no 'public' space on the internet. Sure there are a few collectives' running servers and the occasional state-run university but by and large we are all using a giant 'private' network populated with all sorts of 'privately-held' software packages. And everyone needs to pay their bills.

The ebb and flow of membership on forums like this is controlled by the need to generate enough revenue to pay for the bandwidth and traffic and the increases to those costs that every new member brings. Someone mentioned forums without ads? Take a look at their active membership and I guarantee you they are poorer in knowledge and activity.

I suppose we could allow the state to regulate the internet: establish rules and guidelines and monitor abuses just like they do on tv or radio... but then, it wouldn't be the internet anymore, would it.

This site redesign is just like visiting a pig barn for the first time. You can't imagine ever getting used to the smell... and then you do.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:55   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I' can see the right of the site host... And the regular contributors that this is intrusive.... The new ads are definitely a bit over the top...

I'm waiting for the next evolution... We all know it....

"the full screen ad that covers the entire window" and SO GENEROUSLY gives us the option to "click here" so we can see what we were originally hoping would appear on the screen...: rolleyes:

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 26-03-2014, 08:34   #43

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy re: Ads reach a record high - MERGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
BTW, once you use a tracker and beacon blocker, you will be shocked at who is tracking you and the extent to which it is being done (these log all that info for you to see). Mark
Yepper, gonna have to make the effort to learn the techier stuff. I won't be shocked because I realized years ago that comments and searches elicited targeted ads. Last week I searched for a new batt charger. Now I get MANY ads for them. Who do I tell that I bought one, and cease already?

The mention of Tor and Epic, new to me, is helpful. Switching to Foxfire solved the IE problem of the page not fitting on the screen but the new ads are tough indeed. I've been a $ supporter in the past but I have to agree with Ann currently and several others in the past that the posts are the real value here. (Not mine, of course, the informational ones.) That said, I'd pay again to be ad-free.

Another thing I've noticed is that several of my favorite posters have left here over the years, some to SN and elsewhere. I suspect the repetitive nature of post topics and general yuppiness here drives the more experienced salts away. Throw in intrusive ads ...
Old 26-03-2014, 08:39   #44
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

While I rarely click on one, I actually like some ads. For the most part they are related to something I've looked at in the past and therefore the ads may be of real interest to me!
Old 26-03-2014, 08:46   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For the most part they are related to something I've looked at in the past and therefore the ads may be of real interest to me!
Like the topic of this thread, perhaps?

Mark

Closed Thread

Tags
record