Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 16:24   #1

a transportable cruising yacht

As most of you know by now, I am designing and building a different type of cruising Yacht.

The key factor is that it is designed to be easily transported in a 40 ft Shipping container. So that I can cruise from Australia to Singapore (for example) and then transport the boat either back to Australia or to Miami or to Marsellias (to do the Canals of Europe) the outriggers fold in (like the dragonfly)
I have designed this purely for my own use, it is what I want to do with a cruising boat. I don't "need" to sail around the world.

The question I am asking, is this concept "an easily transportable cruising yacht" something that could be useful to other cruisers. (I have no intention of becoming a boat builder etc)
I would appreciate your comments.

It finally starts next week, with most of the materials ordered and paid for.
Briefly I am building a 39 ft aluminium power trimaran with sail assist. It will be powered by 2 X 30 hp Honda outboards. cruising speed 10 knots top speed 20 knots (it has a unique low friction fast displacement hull).
Fuel capacity for 2,000 nautical miles. A 800 amp hour AGM battery bank 3000 watt inverter, 240 volt Household appliances fridge/freezer and, and a 9000 btu airconditioner.
A 10 hp honda aux driving 2 X 100 amp alternators plus a high pressure pump for a desalinator.
The accomodation is well suited for a couple, with facilities for two guests for short periods.

Let me first thank the members of Cruisers Forum for giving me much of the information i needed to be able to put together this package.
I will keep you all informed of my progess through the building process.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 19:30   #2

CONTAINER YACHTS
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 19:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It seems it's been done already. I don't see it as a barrier if that is what someone should want.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 20:12   #4

I am not saying it has not been done before, Farrier has been shipping some of his tri's like this for years.

All I am asking is, if the concept is seen by cruisers as an advantage.

I could have built my trimaran with a main hull 10ft wide, with a lot more internal room but I chose to build it 7ft 6 ins wide so I could transport it without spending the $30,000 or so it costs for one of those yacht transporting ships.

The situation is, I want to cruise in different places all over the world without "having" to sail all the way around in 3 -4 years.
Do other cruisers feel the same or is it the "macho" thing about, "I circumnavigated so I am a hero", sort of thing.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote