Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 10:40   #16

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Arrrrr ........... I got me a 3 x 5 ft. pirate flag and a collection of every pirate movie dvd I've ever seen ........ Some people just take life to seriously! again, Arrrrrrr

You pegged it !! (pun intended!) Not discounting the dangers of real pirates of past and present, but I too fly pirate flags and wear pirate fun attire from time to time. People who are light hearted laugh and smile when we come around. I fully agree, some people just need to relax some.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:06   #17

Spelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Arrrrr ........... I got me a 3 x 5 ft. pirate flag and a collection of every pirate movie dvd I've ever seen ........ Some people just take life to seriously! again, Arrrrrrr
Is it Arrrrrrr or Arrrrrrrggg ?
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:12   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post

Due to my experience with piracy and the seriousness of piracy to "World Cruisers", I felt compelled to bring up the subject. The OP clearly stated his lack of experience and I thought that it might be helpful (to the OP) to mention the downside of clowning around about something that some (myself included) find offensive.
IMO nothing worng with expressing opinions. Here's mine

You probably have mentioned your real life experiances with Pirates, but I have a memory like a sieve - I can understand therefore where you are coming from and I have no problem with you (or anyone else) expressing their opinions on this or anything else - even in forthright nay Anglo-Saxon terms (and sometimes I don't mind even when these opinions do not agree to my own. and are therefore likely wrong ).........but (hey, there is always a "but") IMO it might have been worth mentioning to Pirate Bob (and equally importantly reminding others reading) the basis of your viewpoint. To me the initial responses came accross as representing a "Group think" that I simply did not recognise and I responded particuarly as it was made to someone who clearly did not know their arse from their elbow - (and IMO nothing wrong with that, we all start somewhere ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:33   #19

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Anyone else notice the somewhat different reaction to new folk when they have a female style name, no matter what the OP is...........
He should have logged in as Saucy Sue, looking for romance and adventure, would have been knocked down in the rush.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:37   #20

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
And a photo of Canadian Pirates!!!!!!!! What do they do? Bore people to death:-)
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:46   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Yeah, I wasn't trying for an internet lynching either. And I have no trouble with people calling themselves pirates or having a fun flag or dressing up crossing the equator or at aprties etc.
I just tried to - gently and in a fun way - that I thought his first post was a bit imature and if he was seriously sking for help to get started there may be a beter way of doing it.

That my "gently and in a fun way" has been misinterpreted that I hate people playing pirates is unfortunate and I appologise to any and all.

My point remains that if one asks for a job at a bank then its good to do so whilst wearing a suit, not a purple hair cut with rings in lips, nose, and cheeks

I shall go do some washing up.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 13:47   #22

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Well.....it's like anything else. If you are exposed to the real dangers of any sport or lifestyle for long enough, you may find yourself in the position of having experienced the full gammut of good times vs bad times.

It's just like a lot of young girls today are wearing clothes that are called "Rape look" (or something like that). Typically a blouse that is torn and hanging off of one shoulder. To some, that may look cool. However, if you, a spouse, friend or daughter have been raped, it isn't so "cool". In fact, it really looks stupid.

As a person's cruising life and range progresses, their chances of encountering real acts of piracy, either personally or through a friend, will increase. At some point, a person may well find themselves looking very differently at someone that thinks that pirate names or pirate flags are "Cute".

I realize that the intent of flying such flags are all in good humor and a general sign of ones real cruising experience.. However, one person's humor does not fit all. As you get into more hard core cruising in farther flung countries, I suggest that the "Cute" pirate flags may become less and less "Cute".

I think that Marks comment was spot on, "My point remains that if one asks for a job at a bank then its good to do so whilst wearing a suit, not a purple hair cut with rings in lips, nose, and cheeks ".
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 15:11   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
No offense meant to the moderators. You guys do a great job keeping this place safe and sane.

Thanks for you hard work.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 16:16   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post

It's just like a lot of young girls today are wearing clothes that are called "Rape look" (or something like that). Typically a blouse that is torn and hanging off of one shoulder. To some, that may look cool. However, if you, a spouse, friend or daughter have been raped, it isn't so "cool". In fact, it really looks stupid.

".
I guess I am just old. I have never had a spouse, friend or daughter raped, nor have I raped anyone and I think those clothes don't look cool.

The only thing that got me was that the ship-dit said "wow" or something like that and then said he would continue to be the pirate type........or something like that.

If it is a little party or the Gasparilla thing in Tampa fine...................otherwise keep it in the closet.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 00:14   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well...I have to go along with the rest of you on this one. I felt it was all in the spirit of sailing and having fun. It is winter in the Northern hemi and for most...really boring. Here in the Islands they have "Talk like a Pirate day". It's my understanding that it is of growing interests in other parts also.
Arrrr....tie em up by the yardarms
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 00:50   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I remember reading somewhere that the 3rd Monday in January is considered one of the most depressing days of the year. Seems Mr. Roberts, whose primary short giving’s were naivety and agreeableness, sailed into that black Monday with all flags flying.

‘Much ado about nothing” and thanks Dan for keeping it in perspective.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:10   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the 3rd Monday in January is considered one of the most depressing days of the year. .
Well, just to keep you on your peg legs toes I checked Google and found:
"The third Monday in January is the most depressing day of the year, says a Cardiff University researcher. He bases his annual predictions on weather, holiday debt, and broken New Year's resolutions" (Northern hemisphere weather no doubt - "while days technically get longer after Dec. 21, cyclonic weather systems take hold in January, bringing low, dark clouds to Britain")

Well, we woke up this morning to hear about the demise in New York of Australian actor Heath Ledger. A man who, one would think, had it all.

Its interesting to wonder if the set of emotions for cruising people is the same spread / by percentage / by demographic as the rest of the community or if cruisers are happier? Or can people under the perpetual cocnut palm of life still find something to grunble about?

(Should I leave that spelling mistake or will someone complain. Bugger it. there are too many! )

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:19   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If Monday (Jan 21) was, in fact, the most depressing day of the year (“Blue Monday”), then we have nowhere to go but up.

Blue Monday is a name given to a date claimed, as part of a publicity campaign by Sky Travel over the name of Dr. Cliff Arnall, to be the most depressing day of the year.

The formula* is pure nonsense (it's not right; it's not even wrong).

Cliff Arnall, not a Professor but a former part-time tutor at Cardiff University (he has a BSc), specializes in creating nonsense formulas predicting almost anything that helps promote something or other (for which PR companies pay him), and gets credibility by being described as a psychologist.

Cliff Arnall - Psychologist & Founder of NO PILLS
Welcome to

* His banal mathematical formula is as follows:
1/8W+(D-d)3/8xTQMxNA.
Where:
(W)eather, Christmas (D)ebt minus monthly salary (d), (T)ime since Christmas, failing our new year's resolutions or to (Q)uit a bad habit, low (M)otivational levels and the feeling of a need to take action (NA).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 06:26   #29

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well, just to keep you on your peg legs toes I checked Google and found:
"The third Monday in January is the most depressing day of the year, says a Cardiff University researcher. He bases his annual predictions on weather, holiday debt, and broken New Year's resolutions" (Northern hemisphere weather no doubt - "while days technically get longer after Dec. 21, cyclonic weather systems take hold in January, bringing low, dark clouds to Britain")

Well, we woke up this morning to hear about the demise in New York of Australian actor Heath Ledger. A man who, one would think, had it all.

Its interesting to wonder if the set of emotions for cruising people is the same spread / by percentage / by demographic as the rest of the community or if cruisers are happier? Or can people under the perpetual cocnut palm of life still find something to grunble about?

(Should I leave that spelling mistake or will someone complain. Bugger it. there are too many! )

Mark
And just to keep things in perspective, actor Heath Ledger died of an "overdose"........ preliminary report is that he took different prescription drugs together (serious mistake) as opposed to "recreational" drugs.....
the truth is sometimes confoluted in the media..... this is quite possibly an accident...........a great actor, though!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 07:02   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Loved that insight Gord.... Great example of ...Wag the Dog!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote