Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 20:01   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lavezzi 40
Papau New Guinea - cyclone season, boltholes, safe areas?

Looking for information about cruising Papau New Guinea during the cyclone season. Some insight would be really appreciated, thank you.

Are there any recommended areas considered cyclone and crime safe / low?

What is the consensus for sailing in this part of the world during the cyclone season?

Noonsite mentions that Rabaul used to be a popular cyclone season port, however now crime is makes it not recomend. What are some alternatives?
RJAldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Papau New Guinea - cyclone season, boltholes, safe areas?

Cyclones are very rare in PNG. only a handful of low intensity ones since 1969. I'm not concerned about them. It's actually a good time of year for cruising because the strong SE Trades are not predominant. I've sailed then entire North Coast and Milne Bay over Christmas/New Year at various times with no problems.

None of the major urban areas are "crime safe" but for cruisers it's not as bad as overseas press would have you believe. Just do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclones.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	179866  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:19   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

StuM, based on the cyclone track diagram you have provided it looks like the best defense against cyclones in northern Australia might be to make a dash for New Guinea??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
StuM, based on the cyclone track diagram you have provided it looks like the best defense against cyclones in northern Australia might be to make a dash for New Guinea??

Yep, three days north of Cairns to POM and you are pretty well OK
Old 29-10-2018, 22:36   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Only been a couple of times, never by boat always by air but flew over and around it in light aircraft, it's a truly beautiful place.
Old 29-10-2018, 23:38   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

A question StuM.

I notice you have been in PNG a fair period of time. I have only passed through a couple of times on business and the barb wire topped chain link fence and armed guard on the gate at the hotel in Port Morsby did not leave a good impression re criminality abounding.

Since you probably associate with other cruisers in the area and consequently am informed first hand from the horses mouth, what is your, and their, experiences regarding crime in PNG.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 02:35   #7

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

When are you planning on going? Apparently visa on arrivals have been suspended until December as per noonsite. No reasons given. We are in Cairns working on Visa's in advance for our departure mid november. Unfortunately it seems that you can only get 60 days with one extension of 30 days, so not much time in country.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 02:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, RJ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 04:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
When are you planning on going? Apparently visa on arrivals have been suspended until December as per noonsite. No reasons given. We are in Cairns working on Visa's in advance for our departure mid november. Unfortunately it seems that you can only get 60 days with one extension of 30 days, so not much time in country.

VOA has been suspended because of the APEC meeting in November. Apparently they don't think they can handle the number of visitors expected if they have to process visas as they arrive.

(If you're checking in at RPYC, let me know when you are due to arrive )
Old 30-10-2018, 04:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A question StuM.

I notice you have been in PNG a fair period of time. I have only passed through a couple of times on business and the barb wire topped chain link fence and armed guard on the gate at the hotel in Port Morsby did not leave a good impression re criminality abounding.

Since you probably associate with other cruisers in the area and consequently am informed first hand from the horses mouth, what is your, and their, experiences regarding crime in PNG.

I've been here for over 30 years and and have traveled all over the country for work as well as sailing around a lot of it

Like many places, there are no-go areas and you need to be security conscious. That said, it's a great destination to visit and away from some urban centres, the locals are very welcoming to visitors.

(BTW, anyone else having problems with CF pages loading very slowly and posted replies failing? Recently, I'm having to try several times to get reply through- this is my fourth attempt on this one. It doesn't happen on any other sites I visit )
Old 30-10-2018, 09:53   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
A question StuM.

Certainly the barbed wire and armed guards should make one exercise some caution. I must admit, sadly, that there are many places in the U.S., and around the world, that have problems and no-go areas too. When I was in New Orleans for business many years ago, the hotels (even in the "nice" areas) all had barbed wire on their giant walls. The staff warned me about the no-go areas. I took their advice, kept my eyes open, listened to the locals, and had a great time after work. Interestingly, the Hurricane that devastated New Orleans was actually a good thing in many ways. It certainly cleaned up the bad areas a lot.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:30   #12

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I've been here for over 30 years and and have traveled all over the country for work as well as sailing around a lot of it

Like many places, there are no-go areas and you need to be security conscious. That said, it's a great destination to visit and away from some urban centres, the locals are very welcoming to visitors.

(BTW, anyone else having problems with CF pages loading very slowly and posted replies failing? Recently, I'm having to try several times to get reply through- this is my fourth attempt on this one. It doesn't happen on any other sites I visit )
Echo the above. But want to add what a wonderful place this is. Believe the offshore islands North of the mainland are very safe. Had a very nice time in them particularly Hermit.

I would be amiss if I did not add a comment about security though. We only saw one other boat out there and they had their dinghy stolen. Also and I hesitate to add this as our visit was some time ago shortly before we visited, and we were there for quite awhile, a couple were killed on the mainland in their boat. It is disingenuous to argue that there are security problems everywhere. Of course that is true. But some of these infamous places get thousands of visitors. It is quite clear why there are so few problems in for example a place like the Sula archipelago. Hardly any one dares to go there. Nor would we. This could also be said for PNG, at least when we were there ten or more years ago. I hope it is better there now.

Would we go back if we were not languishing in Florida? In a heartbeat. But we would carry pepper spray and have it available all over GAIA. As we did most places we visited including PNG.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 11:35   #13

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Not sure if you are still having issues but it is working OK for me.
Old 30-10-2018, 11:38   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
BTW, anyone else having problems with CF pages loading very slowly and posted replies failing? Recently, I'm having to try several times to get reply through- this is my fourth attempt on this one. It doesn't happen on any other sites I visit )
Stu, I have had it happen to me, and I've received a message that comes back it is not my server, it is the CF site. Jim has not had the problem at the same time, though, and I don't know if CF has been doing site maintenance. If it continues to be an issue, use the "Contact Us" button in the blue stripe near the bottom of the page, to report it to the site staff.

Ann
Old 30-10-2018, 15:08   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Not sure if you are still having issues but it is working OK for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Stu, I have had it happen to me, and I've received a message that comes back it is not my server, it is the CF site. Jim has not had the problem at the same time, though, and I don't know if CF has been doing site maintenance. If it continues to be an issue, use the "Contact Us" button in the blue stripe near the bottom of the page, to report it to the site staff.

Ann
I thnk it may be Avast Web Shield choking on all the google ad etc links. I've turned it off temporarily and the site loads much quicker. I'll see if this reply goes through the first time.

Edit: Yep, the reply went through much quicker too!