Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 19:55   #1

St Petersburg 4 day sail plan recommendations

Hi all. 1st post to the forum. Wife and I are planning a trip to St Pete 1st week of June for a 4 day bareboat charter and looking for recommendations for a 4 day itinerary. (We are both ASA 104 certified). Florida is not our home state, so not familiar with St. Pete and surrounding destinations. All recommendations welcome. A really fun trip would include some great sailing, nice overnight anchorages, snorkeling, maybe even tying up to a pier and steeping off into a restaurant - but not a requirement. I have read about the summer squalls in the area - is early June a lousy time of year for such a trip?
Thanks for your recommendations and insights!
CAPTJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 17:11   #2

Re: St Petersburg 4 day sail plan recommendations

I suggest heading to Boca Grand, anchor in Pelican Bay inside south side of the pass next to Cayo Costa State Park. You can dink over and explore the park. The nearby islands in Charlotte Harbor can be explored including a great place on Cabbage Key with true old Florida charm and cabins, bar and restaurant. This would be one long day's sail from St Pete so decent wind or motor will be needed. Early June could be great like it has been up to now, or it could be clam or could be stormy, but typically stormy comes later in July. An alternative would be go north to Honeymoon Island or Anclote Key north of Clearwater.
joecat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 17:13   #3

Both options assume going out into the gulf from the Tampa Bay ship channel on the north side of Egmont Key.
Old 10-05-2018, 17:18   #4

A closer option would be to go the Manatee River just south of Tampa Bay, after exploring Egmont Key and to either of the marinas on the north or south sides of the river before you get to a bridge. Both marinas (Regatta Point and Twin Dolphin) have pretty good restaurants. Great day sailing around Egmont and around the south part of the bay.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:51   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecat22 View Post
Both options assume going out into the gulf from the Tampa Bay ship channel on the north side of Egmont Key.
Egmont is cool, but keep a close eye on the weather though, if stong winds blow down Tampa Bay it can get ugly at Egmont fast.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:04   #6

That can be true in the late fall, winter, or spring time but in early June the only risk would be one of the fluke "no name" storms we get once every ten years or so. You'll know if one of those is coming. The biggest risk this time of year is no wind at all. Anchor on the east side near the south end where there is deep water within swimming distance to the shore (i.e., less than 25 yards to waist deep). 19th century fort ruins to explore.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I do charters for the “leading St Pete charter firm”.

4 day semi-easy charter. Egmont Key for a swim, up the Manatee to sleep, Venice Inlet, back to Egmont/Manatee and Home. If Weather is nice you can anchor off Egmont, but it can be bouncy if wrong pilot boat team working.

Also speak to the firm, they have some good guide books.

Feel free to PM
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32   #8

I would anchor at Desoto Point/Emerson point for at least one night and if want bars/restaruants maybe do Gulfport for one night.

Be aware there are only certain areas of Egmont you can go ashore.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Re...osed-Areas.pdf
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:46   #9

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

We just spend spring break chartering out of Tampa Bay. As has been suggested Egmont Key is a nice afternoon. I also vote for a night at Desoto Point in the Manetee River. If you anchor here definitely go ashore and walk around the park. It is a nice stroll and you can learn the history about the Indians and Spaniards.

Depending on wind conditions you can sail south and go into Venice inlet. Then up the ICW to Sarasota bay. The bay is nice place to sail and some restaurant options around Siesta Key and within Sarasota bay. Active Captain is a good source for anchoring options long this route. There is also Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium that can be a fun visit. All of this can be accessed using the ICW from Tampa bay if wind does not cooperate. Some say you can get out of Longboat Pass depending on weather, tide, and boat. DO NOT try to go in/out of either of the passes into Sarasota Bay. The only other advice I have of the area is watch your depths. The area as a whole is shallow. While on the ICW or entering/exiting some of the rivers STAY in the marked channel. You can run aground easily in these areas. The good thing is it mostly all sand/mud if you do and will be mostly harmless.

One more thing. Have a look at the website link below. It is for Eckerd College. They have a search and rescue service for the area that is free. Luckily I have no personal experience with there service but nice to know they are around and offer their services for free.

https://www.eckerd.edu/waterfront/ecsar/

I have had great experiences chartering with
http://www.sailingflorida.com/

The area is beautiful and I hope you charter is fantastic.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:54   #10

Boat: Pearson 30

Welcome,

The St. Pete. Municipal Marina has lots to offer. I lived aboard there, years ago, and enjoyed walking distance to downtown, huge park along the water, outdoor theater, and proximity to West Marine and other marine suppliers.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:03   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

Isla Mujeres is almost exactly 4 days away.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:33   #12

Boat: Cambria 44/46

Hi,
I'm a 30 year resident in St. Pete and lived aboard 18. 'Live just south of downtown on big bayou now and the boat's behind the house. I'm the OCC's port officer and though you may not belong to that group, I'd be happy to meet you when you come to town and review your plans. Please PM for suggestions or coordination.
Yours,
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail