Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2018, 17:04   #1

Voyage planning

Looking for advise on an itinerary from Rock Hall Chesapeake to atlantic city .
37" sloop, 6-7 knots motoring, not a delivery but rather a transfer .

Thanks
Doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 04:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Voyage planning

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doron.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 05:38   #3

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"

Welcome!

I've never made that trip and won't provide specific advice, but some factors that others may find helpful to provide advice: draft, number of crew and their experience, vessel capability (blue water, coastal only, limited electronics, no-wind cruising range, system confidence or lack thereof), personal restrictions (no offshore, etc.), time of year/must complete date, anything else you can think of that defines the trip.

I'm not sure of the difference between delivery and transfer, but if it's important you might want to explain. Are you just moving home bases?

Good luck with it!
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:42   #4

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 360

I am not a sailor but made that trip several times in my 36' Searay. The upper Chesapeake to the C&D is is a nice ride with plenty of places to stop. Once past the west side of the C&D their isn't much. There is a marina on the east side, Delaware City marina. I usually stop there for fuel before entering the Delaware river. There is nothing on the Delaware bay until you reach Cape May so if you need provisions get them here. It is very important to catch the tide in the Delaware even if it means mooring in the Delaware river for a few hours. Its a gonna be 5 to 6 hours in the bay with good weather. Take the Cape May canal it saves a lot of time. When you turn into the canal stay to the north side right behind the ferries. The south side shoals up from the ferry s going in and out. There are a few bridges but both have plenty of clearance. I would't use the ocean at least up to Townsend Inlet. South of there can be tricky and slow if your aren't familiar. Stop in the Cape May harbor to eat(plenty of great restaurants) or to get some rest. The rest of the trip is pretty easy. The Cape May inlet to the Atlantic city inlet is a pretty easy ride in the ocean if the weather is right. Thats about a 40 mile leg. After Cape May there are no quick or easy places to stop to eat until AC.
Shangri La is offline   Reply With Quote