Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 00:04   #1

Legless world

Hi i have 143 Friday left before i retire unless i win the loto or my elderly Mum dies. And of course these days it depends on the stock market or my SIPP with Best invest.
I lost both my legs below knee in the army 31 years ago. But i love sailing as i can and do beat able bodied in races, southern Ionian 9th this year 3rd 2 years ago with a legless veteran crew.
I started planning my retirement 3 years ago first on Google maps then on Navionics app.
Im taking a younger colleague from work for at least a year and any veterans are more than welcome. But i can see sailing single handed as likely as some stage.
A traditional blue water or not that is the question. Well its not for me so a Jeanneau
Sun Odyssey 45 DS
Is my intended or the 42 depending on funds.
I plan to leave uk april may 2022 after refitting a 10 year old yacht.
We will take 4 to 5 months to Gib where i think i can tie up for free as im blue ensign and disable. Then well spend 2 years exploring the med and end up back at Gib September 2024 before heading off to Azores and cape Verde island by November.
Cross to Trinidad and spend until july wending our way to Deltaville usa. A bit of walking on the Appalachian trail repair the boat and spend Christmas in Tampa Florida. After which Cuba Mexico Belize caman islands and Panama by July. Go through.
Peru machapitchu maybe or wonder up the coat to LA etc. Bit of walking in the Rockies and exploring. Before setting sail via Galapagos to Rikitea, cook Tonga Fiji and spend the Cyclone season in port Villa. The rest is planned too but can i see my self coming back to uk except to visit or get new legs? No
I reason probably 8 to ten years to here. No rush, good satilite coms to keep in touch with family and weather data. I know the king of Fiji he served in the GB Army in my regiment so might not get passed Fiji. If anyone fancies coming along all or part providing you pay your share of running costs food etc im open to offers. We will not be doing 3 on 3 off watches. This is for fun and adventure not to shorten my or anyone elses life.
I think 10 to 15 years to complete a circumnavigation but depends on health.
Ps. Hawaii is not on the list dispite free marina, if we want to go well fly from LA. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170918_150546.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	159716
Timtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 04:14   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Legless world

Wow talk about a detailed plan! I wish I knew where I'd be next week, let alone next year, lol.

Sounds like a great adventure you have coming up. Wish you the best getting ready and setting out!

I suggest you consider working your way farther north than Deltaville on the east coast of the US. Some great cruising grounds all the way up to Nova Scotia that you'd be missing if you stopped and turned around in VA. Deltaville is a great place to leave your boat (cheap) but it's an unexceptional place to visit.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:29   #3

Cheap is good , the main thing is to do as many miles hiking as we can and see the sights. its to cold up there for me
Old 26-11-2017, 14:23   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome, Tim! Those are very detailed plans. Remember to enjoy it and not get too stuck on an arbitrary deadline. It sounds like a grand adventure
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 15:24   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtigger View Post

(...)

I plan to leave uk april may 2022 after refitting a 10 year old yacht.

(...)
You are spotless ;-)

I see you get what you want because you know what you want. So many people do not.

Welcome onboard!
b.

BTW You can skip Fiji. It always rains in Suva!
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:59   #6

How do i get notification of what my password was please?????