Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 09:31   #1

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
A little paraphrasing of copyrighted book

We let our daughter move aboard our boat, which we lived aboard, for a three month duration 19 months ago, in Channel Islands Harbor, California. We bought an old truck and a new camper and went on, what turned out to be,a 12 months, 40,000 mile, 11 state camping trip. After 12 months we decided to buy a place in Manila, California. She moved off Mana last month and I went down 3 times, 630 miles each way, to prepare her for sailing home to Humboldt Bay where our slip fees are about 40% of the SoCal fees. I also emptied the storage container we had left some of our stuff in when we began cruising a few years earlier. In that mess of boxes and tools and all manner of things we kept, is my copy of Jimmy Cornells World Cruising Routes, which I cannot find. What I was hoping was that somebody could read his advise and just tell me if there is anything terrible I can't foresee on sailing mid September north to Humboldt, and any other advice he may have offered. If I don't hear from anyone I will try some libraries, but we are pressed for time as my 12 year old Labrador is too old to make the trip, and my daughter is watching him, but he moans and cries when he doesn't know where I am. I know it sounds stupid, but he gave me the only unconditional love I ever really experienced. So I just don't want to dawdle to much. Boy I reread this and I sound like a sap, but I still would like some advice, I have sailed the other way, a month later in the year, and it was pretty brutal. Thanks
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A little paraphrasing of copyrighted book

Howdy.

I don't have the book you mentioned, so can't help you with a paraphrase of it.

But, I think you would get more answers if you started a new thread with a more easily understood request for advice or information with a title such as "California Coastal Conditions in Fall" or something similar, and started it in the "Destinations/Pacific " forum here on CF.

Clearly state the departure and destination points and time of year.

Mention your previous experience sailing that route, if any, and type of boat and size of crew (singlehanding?).

Then ask for advice on that route, going in that direction (north), and at that time of year.

Hope that helps.
________

I have not sailed up to Manila California.

But, I know sailing up the coast means you could be facing big rolling seas from early offshore storms further north, even IF you leave during nice weather on the coast. So, be prepared for "motor sailing" even if you do leave with a good weather window.

Also, be prepared for strong current and possibly "confused seas" or higher seas around Point Conception, which is notoriously difficult, especially when going north against the prevailing current and seas and winds.

I sailed up to San Francisco from Monterrey on a windy day, with high swell and enjoyed it. But, that was on a 42 foot boat, and I don't mind ups and downs.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:56   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Just a reminder to members that the forum offers the World Cruising Guide and Sailing Wiki. There's a link on every page. Given that this forum is dominated by Americans, why is there nothing in the Wiki about the USA? Come on guys and girls get involved. Many of you have extensive experience and extensive local knowledge. The Wiki is a good place to share it.

The OP is asking about what sounded like a pretty routine 5 day passage along the coast of California.
Old 12-09-2017, 15:12   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
The OP is asking about what sounded like a pretty routine 5 day passage along the coast of California.
Yes, but.... It is against the prevailing winds and the south-setting current. It will not be fast. From Point Conception north, it is a long slog, and like the cape off Mt. Egmont in NZ, Cape Mendocino has a local reputation for gales. When you add to that that the winter storms will be just beginning, if I were to make the trip, I would expect it to be quite fatiguing, and rough all the way. Not Cook Straits nasty, but not a "routine" 5 day passage. If a storm comes, it can be survival conditions.

To the OP, haven't gone to Humboldt, but SF to Channel Is and return a few times. Places we stopped at were Cojo, under Pt. Conception, sheltered by kelp, to leave around 0100 to get around the point before the wind gets up; Moro Bay, Monterrey. There is a fisherman's anchorage not far from Big Sur, that we looked at, but decided not to use, due to a dead fishing boat that had gone ashore there, and a Westsail belonging to a CF member, as well. So no knowledge of that. North of SF, you can shelter from the NW winds at Drake's Bay, it is an open roadstead with some refracted swell. Tomales Bay is a possibility, but never been in there. Look at the charts.

If this is to be a delivery, with crew, I'd go outside the shipping lanes, and go straight through, but you will need crew because all of you will need your off watches to recuperate in.

Ann
Old 12-09-2017, 15:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, but.... It is against the prevailing winds and the south-setting current. It will not be fast. From Point Conception north, it is a long slog, and like the cape off Mt. Egmont in NZ, Cape Mendocino has a local reputation for gales. When you add to that that the winter storms will be just beginning, if I were to make the trip, I would expect it to be quite fatiguing, and rough all the way. Not Cook Straits nasty, but not a "routine" 5 day passage. If a storm comes, it can be survival conditions.

To the OP, haven't gone to Humboldt, but SF to Channel Is and return a few times. Places we stopped at were Cojo, under Pt. Conception, sheltered by kelp, to leave around 0100 to get around the point before the wind gets up; Moro Bay, Monterrey. There is a fisherman's anchorage not far from Big Sur, that we looked at, but decided not to use, due to a dead fishing boat that had gone ashore there, and a Westsail belonging to a CF member, as well. So no knowledge of that. North of SF, you can shelter from the NW winds at Drake's Bay, it is an open roadstead with some refracted swell. Tomales Bay is a possibility, but never been in there. Look at the charts.

If this is to be a delivery, with crew, I'd go outside the shipping lanes, and go straight through, but you will need crew because all of you will need your off watches to recuperate in.

Ann

As I recall, CF member DELMARREY made this trip last year, in his 40 foot boat, motorsailing mostly, and he and his crew described it in a thread. One thing I recall was said was it was a wet trip, from spray. His boat has a nice hard dodger or windscreen too.

Also, I mentioned before I had sailed from Monterrey to San Francisco. On that trip the Captain and the other two crew got very seasick, and were incapacitated. I did not get seasick, so was on the helm all day (I enjoyed it) going up and down the large seas. My point? Even experienced sailors can get laid low by seasickness, especially if the boat is beating upwind in steep seas.

Be prepared.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 05:18   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I looked at Jimmy's World Cruising Routes and it has very little to offer that isn't apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, but.... It is against the prevailing winds and the south-setting current.
This is the problem. Prevailing winds NW and the southerly California Current for over 600 miles. It isn't the most fun in the world.

I see two choices: 1. Stay as close in as possible to minimize the foul current and motor or motor-sail and accept 80-100 mile days, depending on the boat, or 2. Head westerly as far North as you can sail until clear of the California Current and can lay Humboldt Bay (with some margin) and tack. The latter might take a bit longer but be much more pleasant and require much less fuel. That would be my choice.

Assuming he likes it, scratch your dog between the ears for me.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:24   #7

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

Can't offer much advise on that particular trip, except to hire a captain to move the boat for you! That way, your best friend will not have to suffer separation anxiety. By the way, you should never apologize for the great bond you feel between man and his dog. Your dog has earned your devotion.
Most people I know understand that - it does not need explanation. Those that don't understand? ............. No point trying to explain it to them!
Old 13-09-2017, 08:57   #8

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

fatherchronica

checked my copy,
not much on that particular leg.
his advice is to head out about two hundred miles west,then turn north to the latitude you need,at that point select an east to the coast course where you have a favorable tack to take advantage of the prevailing wind.
Otherwise is short legs coastal, mostly night to take advantage of land breeze,and be prepared ta take shelter as conditions dictate.
good luck
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:14   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
Can't offer much advise on that particular trip, except to hire a captain to move the boat for you!
DISCLAIMER - This is not a bid and not a solicitation for work.

I am one of those guys. *grin* Running numbers quickly without a lot of research, if I did a proposal it would be $3,000 to $3,500. I wouldn't generally chose to fly someone across the country but airfare is really pretty cheap. You can certainly find less expensive skippers than me but at some point you do get what you pay for.

Not considering your dog whining ashore for a week I think your best bet, if YOU think you're up for it, is to recruit some crew and take the offshore route. If that is interesting to you I'll be happy to ping my crew list on your behalf.

Your dog may be miserable enough in your absence that a skipper does make sense for you. If you want some counsel there I can help. This is a very busy time of year for me but you said time is of the essence and I have time for a phone call if that would be of value to you.

The only quid pro quo I ask is that you document your trip here on CF so others may benefit.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:43   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy.

I don't have the book you mentioned, so can't help you with a paraphrase of it.

But, I think you would get more answers if you started a new thread with a more easily understood request for advice or information with a title such as "California Coastal Conditions in Fall" or something similar, and started it in the "Destinations/Pacific " forum here on CF.

Clearly state the departure and destination points and time of year.

Mention your previous experience sailing that route, if any, and type of boat and size of crew (singlehanding?).

Then ask for advice on that route, going in that direction (north), and at that time of year.

Hope that helps.
________

I have not sailed up to Manila California.

But, I know sailing up the coast means you could be facing big rolling seas from early offshore storms further north, even IF you leave during nice weather on the coast. So, be prepared for "motor sailing" even if you do leave with a good weather window.

Also, be prepared for strong current and possibly "confused seas" or higher seas around Point Conception, which is notoriously difficult, especially when going north against the prevailing current and seas and winds.

I sailed up to San Francisco from Monterrey on a windy day, with high swell and enjoyed it. But, that was on a 42 foot boat, and I don't mind ups and downs.

Good luck!
Maybe the Mods can change the title if requested by the OP?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 20:06   #11

Thanks to all, especially Davil who supplied the actual info I was looking for. We are leaving Friday for Santa Cruz Island for the night, so our voyage does not start on a Friday, but just a leisurely trip to the islands that we have made on many Fridays for over 40 years. Then we think we will stay inside and probably even spend some time in ports to rest depending on the weather. We have a pilothouse, and diesel heater we have beaten to windward against currents for longer periods, but we are no gluttons for punishment, at least anymore. When we were young we often pushed ourselves to test our limits. As to Jimi and Pinka, our dogs, my daughter who actually bred the Lab has come to stay with them, so now I may be sadder than the dogs. We just drove down from Point Conception to Channel Islands Harbor in the last 2 hours, and I wish we were already out there, not to bad at all. Of course it is a volatile spot to be sure and can change in a heartbeat. We have a 400 hour old Yanmar and carry 200 gallons of diesel, so if we had to motor all the way, God forbid, we would be good refueling once in maybe Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay, I will see start reseaching that aspect after we are underway. Thanks to all, and if anything interesting happens I will post something. There is a NOAA station just a mile inland from my home and I checked with them and it seems rougher outside for the next week than in clse, but usually my inclination is to be far from land on wildcoasts like that part iof California.
Old 14-09-2017, 10:05   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I don't see anywhere in your post or profile what type of boat you have, nor did you describe your crew or their experience.

I can't see doing the offshore route unless you have quit a lot of previous experience and a very well found boat Plus at least 2 experienced crew.

Having done time SC to SF trip many times in several boats, I'd recommend you wait at at Coho for the weather window then motor sail 10 miles out with a reefed main strapped in tight. Your 200 gallons means you won't need to refuel until SF. After leaving SF you only have Drakes Bay and Bodega Bay for shelter and both far S of Humbolt so you will need a good weather window but this does happen frequently in Sept. Don't hesitate to turn back if you get nailed.

Better get going right away, or best to wait in SF until late April or May
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:08   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Maybe the Mods can change the title if requested by the OP?
Yes, indeed, we can. However, the OP has already started, and, as you know, you pick the wx you leave on, and accept what the wind gods offer for the rest.

Fair winds, fatherchronica!

Ann
Old 14-09-2017, 19:30   #14

In response to the boat I am bringing north, it is a Cape George 36 Cutter with a pilothouse. We also have a Cape Dory 25 by the way. I was raised with boats since a toddler and I haved owned various and sundry sailboats almost constantly since 1974, sometimes, like now, more than 1 at a time. I have cruised in the Pacific and Caribbean.

Tags
copyright