Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 17:41   #1

Boat: Hunter 1993 33.5
Watching a rocket launch from the Banana River

We recently moved to Merritt Island and has been cruising the Indian River and upper Banana River. There is a rocket launch scheduled for the morning of 12/12 with the launch window opening for 90 minutes starting around 0835.

I would like to see the launch from the Banana River opposite the Cape Canaveral Air Force base where the launch pad is situated. Looking at the charts there are understandably quite a few security zones, danger areas and restricted areas. The one I am interested in is security zone 165.701 since it is out of bounds during launches.

The description of the area is here http://https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/165.701

When I follow the lats and longs on my chart it looks like this zone encompasses most of north Merritt Island - i.e. Most of the island north of the barge canal to the haul over canal and from the shore of the Indian River to a line 3 miles off shore. EXCEPT, it look like about half the Banana River from the shore of Merritt Island to the western edge of the barge channel (I believe it's called the Saturn barge channel) and from the Canaveral barge canal north to a point a little south of the NASA parkway east falls outside this security area.

This would make this little 4nm by about .85nm piece of water one of the best places in the world to watch a rocket launch. But, it just looks so unlikely that a "finger" of water, kind of in the middle of the security zone would be accessible when the rest of the area is out of bounds.

I called the USCG at Port Canaveral and asked them about this and initially they were thinking I'm talking about an off shore position but then said it "sounds OK" if I anchor there to watch the launch.

Thing is that if I look at the fire power of the Air Force and Navy ranged around the Banana River and taking into consideration the sensitivity of a rocket launch I'd rather not take the chance of anchoring there for the spectacle based on a telephonic "sound OK" from petty officer someone at the USCG station.

My proposed anchoring position would be 28 deg 28.178' N 80 deg 37.977' W. This is east of duck point on Meritt Island and just northwest of channel marker 24. According to my charts and the description in the regs this is outside the security zone and therefor kosher but is there anyone out there that know for sure?

I appreciate all help!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Watching a rocket launch from the Banana River

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gerhard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:45   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The issue is not one of space center restricted areas but of Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge motorized vessel prohibited area. The furthest north you can take a motorized vessel is approximately 28.26 N which is directly off Audubon Park on Merritt Island. There are very large signs on either side of the Saturn Barge Channel saying "no motorized vessels beyond this point". Owning a sailboat, I have asked about going beyond this point under sail and was told that legally a sailboat with a motor is motorized vessel even if the motor is not in use. That said I have anchored about 100 ft from the signs and it was still a spectacular view. We were there for the Spacex falcon launch and landing last summer.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08   #4

Thank you Cap'n Bill!

I've sailed north on the Banana River twice now and both times we turned around once we ran out of "white" on the chart, i.e. around 28 27.5 N and I never saw the signs you mention. We don't keep strictly to the channel as there is quite a bit of room around there for our 4.5' draft but I'm definitely going to take this as a warning to keep a better watch! Thank you very much for the heads up.

Like you say though, even if we anchor in line with Audubon park (being new to the area I'm not totally sure, but this looks like the same place known as Kars park - is this accurate?) it should still be a neat spot to watch the launch.

So, just to circle back to my original question, you're sure I'll be ok being there from a security zone point of view?
Old 07-12-2016, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGe View Post
Thank you Cap'n Bill!

I've sailed north on the Banana River twice now and both times we turned around once we ran out of "white" on the chart, i.e. around 28 27.5 N and I never saw the signs you mention. We don't keep strictly to the channel as there is quite a bit of room around there for our 4.5' draft but I'm definitely going to take this as a warning to keep a better watch! Thank you very much for the heads up.

Like you say though, even if we anchor in line with Audubon park (being new to the area I'm not totally sure, but this looks like the same place known as Kars park - is this accurate?) it should still be a neat spot to watch the launch.

So, just to circle back to my original question, you're sure I'll be ok being there from a security zone point of view?
The security zone is just east of the Saturn Barge channel until well north in the Banana. West of the channel is ok from the security zone point of view, just not Ok for motorized vessels. I talked to a wildlife refuge person and they thought it would be OK to sail north of Audubon(also called KARS park), but the FWC guy said it was not because FL state law defines any vessel with a motor as a motorized vessel even if not using the motor and motorized vessels are prohibited north of Audubon/KARS park. Here is a refuge map showing no motorized vessel area.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/do...06111031.pdf#d
Old 07-12-2016, 13:40   #6

Thanks Capt!

The map is excellent information. I'm planning to be right in the north-eastern corner of the little bit of the Banana River that motorized vessels are allowed in...
Old 08-12-2016, 06:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGe View Post
Thanks Capt!

The map is excellent information. I'm planning to be right in the north-eastern corner of the little bit of the Banana River that motorized vessels are allowed in...
Did you go out and watch the Delta launch last night?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:50   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Our boats was in Titusville for a few years we saw plenty of launches. I would suggest the Indian River north of the Addison Point Bridge. Check out Active Captain as there are notes. I remember loading up the car at the end of the day and seeing a launch from the slip. Pretty cool stuff.

No worry as far as security zone either, I they are due to parts falling on you if something goes wrong as you will be to the west of the pad and these things tend to go east.

Spent a few nights at the lock on the Banana river, not to bad a spot, you can see the cruise ships and such but the spoils island just north an the canal tends to have rowdy party types at night. We were not expecting to listen to folks blasting Twisted Sister at 2am.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Did you go out and watch the Delta launch last night?
Yes. Watched it from my back yard. Was pretty spectacular! I'm fortunate to live on the northern part of Merritt Island so our view of the launches are actually decent. Want to do one from the water so I can see it without any trees blocking the view of the launchpad itself. The next one is on 12/16 in the middle of the day and I plan to be on the water for that.