Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 21:25   #1

Am I overly cautious around water?

Today I watched a YouTube of a seemingly nice couple celebrate crossing the equator, and as far as I know they're alone. They were drinking, dressed up in costumes and having a good time. But then they migrated to sitting together on the transom steps with their feet dangling in the water. While drinking.

It sent chills down my spine.

I can't be the only one who never sits like that while underway without a tether? Or is just the thought of watching the boat sail away too irrational?
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:33   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

I happen to agree with you.
Old 07-08-2016, 22:25   #3

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Couchsailing? They had a third person onboard
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 22:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Couchsailing? They had a third person onboard
No - I don't want to shame and I hope they stay safe. Looking at their videos, they've hooked their pressurized water to the head, ruined their spinnaker, and lost a prop due to inadequate torque. I hope they learn without being hurt that the ocean is cold and merciless.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 23:21   #5

We all have zones of acceptable/unacceptable risk. Theirs may be quite different than yours or mine. But since they are fully grown and hopefully mentally sound adults - they have a perfect right to their own zone.

BTW I view anyone who paraglides from mile high mountains with the same horror as you experience looking at that transom steps sitting couple. And?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 23:40   #6

Each to their own really. I'm cautious but most people think I'm crazy for even wanting to go sailing.
TravellerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 00:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellerNick View Post
Each to their own really. I'm cautious but most people think I'm crazy for even wanting to go sailing.
People think I'm crazy sailing solo
Old 08-08-2016, 00:05   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What I do find astonishing is motor boats with kids sitting on the bow dangling feet over the anchor as the boat is moving along. One slip and they will be under the boat and in the prop.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 00:06   #9

In the berth next to me at a marina, there was a Danish couple and whenever the wife left the cockpit to clean the deck or whatever, she wore her lifejacket. At first I thought she simply hadn't taken it off after returning to the marina, but then I kept seeing her wearing it on other days when they had not left.

Now that is cautious.... or perhaps just scared of water.
Old 08-08-2016, 00:38   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Today I watched a YouTube of a seemingly nice couple celebrate crossing the equator, and as far as I know they're alone. They were drinking, dressed up in costumes and having a good time. But then they migrated to sitting together on the transom steps with their feet dangling in the water. While drinking.

It sent chills down my spine.

I can't be the only one who never sits like that while underway without a tether? Or is just the thought of watching the boat sail away too irrational?
You must be American, from a country way too concerned and worried about other people's safety. With another person on board, we do this sort of thing all the time.... it's very relaxing while under sail. Obviously, I would't do it alone without a tether or someone else watching the boat.

The rest of the world doesn't get as "worked up" about this sort of thing.

"Live and let live." Get out and enjoy life.

Cheers
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 00:48   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
In the berth next to me at a marina, there was a Danish couple and whenever the wife left the cockpit to clean the deck or whatever, she wore her lifejacket. At first I thought she simply hadn't taken it off after returning to the marina, but then I kept seeing her wearing it on other days when they had not left.

Now that is cautious.... or perhaps just scared of water.
It's possible the woman might have MS (multiple sclerosis) which would be a good reason for her behavior.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:37   #12

Boat: Vagabond 14

After a local police officer, member of the swift water dive/rescue team, lifeguard and previously a competition swimmer fell off his bass boat in calm 7 ft deep water and didn't float again for 14 days....

I don't think you can be excessively cautious around water.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:26   #13
cruiser

Honestly, how do any of you have any enjoyment in your apparently dull worrisome lives. There's risk in everything, driving a car, crossing the street, eating too much, walking down stairs, running with scissors, and sailing etc.

I'm surprised you're not overcome by worry about the lithium battery in your computer or cell phone blowing up in your face. Jeez.... Start enjoying life. Quit worrying, so much.....we'll all be dead eventually.

To be worried about what other people do is just plain weird IMHO.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm surprised you're not overcome by worry about the lithium battery in your computer or cell phone blowing up in your face. Jeez.... Start enjoying life. Quit worrying, so much.....we'll all be dead eventually.
He will now that you have highlighted the risk
Old 08-08-2016, 03:16   #15

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

We all have a different tolerance of hazard and risk so what someone might feel is perfectly normal scares the sh*t out of someone else.

I think it perfectly normal to slide down a steep snow covered slope on a plank at up to 80kph or ride down a rocky trail inches from trees but would rather take the stairs than hang off a cable in an elevator (irrational fear of enclosed spaces basically).

That said I do wear full protective gear when snowboarding and mountain biking. After breaking my back in a slow speed fall from my board I'm going to minimise the risk of that happening again.

Hazard and risk are part of life and how you manage them is a part of how you live your life. Maybe the lady with the life jacket on in the marina fell from the boat once and couldn't get back out of the water. So she wears her life jacket today just in case it happens again. A little like me with my body armour. Once bitten twice shy.

As long as you can still enjoy your life your way who are we to criticise?

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water