Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 07:35   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Dinghy davit lines

The lines for my dinghy davits get all twisted up and then don't pull through the pulleys . I've taken them off a couple of time just to get the twist out and I've tried a couple different types of line, but am still not happy (I'm using what the davit manufacturer suggested).

I'm planning on replacing the line because I want it long so am looking for suggestions on what others are using that is working well before I order.
Old 27-06-2016, 07:52   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Dinghy davit lines

I would first check to see why the lines are getting "all twisted up". This should not happen no matter what type of line you're using.
Old 27-06-2016, 08:42   #3

Boat: Able 50

Exactly. The bottom blocks should have a swivel to help in reducing twist. 5/16" fuzzy rope such a Samson Trophy is about the right size and helps with grip. The swivel is more important than the type of rope.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 08:49   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Exactly. The bottom blocks should have a swivel to help in reducing twist. 5/16" fuzzy rope such a Samson Trophy is about the right size and helps with grip. The swivel is more important than the type of rope.
Nope. Neither block should have swivel, since they only need to deflect a fraction of a turn and the shackle will manage that. This is a common misconception. Ask a good rigger. Swivel blocks are not used with tackles secured at both ends. Don't know why folks buy them. I think it is laziness on getting the alignment right.

All the swivel does is allow the lines to wrap. Better, Run you hand down the tackle, between the lines with each use, to keep any twists working through.

It is also possible the tackle is rove incorrectly. Very common with 6:1, but happens with all sorts.
Old 27-06-2016, 08:59   #5

Both my bottom blocks are triples with a swivel and carbine hook on the shackle. Mine are Lewmars and I use them every day. There is no need to have a rigger tell me what works.
Old 27-06-2016, 09:10   #6

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

If you are using a winch to raise the dinghy you will add twists to it every time you use it. Periodically have to "flip" the tail of the line to get them out. This is because when you wrap the line around a winch you are putting in a twist. As the line comes up the twists fro that time and prior uses compresses down to the line going through the blocks.

If not using a winch this should not happen, unless of course you are coiling the line, which also introduces twists to the line, especially braided. THis is why racers and cruisers do a figure 8 coil, not a round one.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:19   #7

The easiest way to untwist any line is to toss the tail over the side and sail around for a little while.
Old 27-06-2016, 10:23   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What was happening to me was, I was twisting the lines every time I put them away, to keep them in a nice circle, you put a half twist in the line on each loop.
I learned that on lines that run through a block, you can't do that, when rolling them up, you have to let them fall into a figure 8, if you don't then they will get all twisted up like you describe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 11:12   #9

This is an ongoing problem with all multi block purchase systems. It is a good idea to unravel whatever systems you have once or twice a year and remove the twisting. The problem doesn't just happen to davit lines but also things like vangs and mainsheets.
Old 27-06-2016, 11:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Both my bottom blocks are triples with a swivel and carbine hook on the shackle. Mine are Lewmars and I use them every day. There is no need to have a rigger tell me what works.
No swivel would work even better. Try it. The only thing a swivel does is allow twisting to wind thing up.

A swivel is ONLY needed when a block will routinely twist more than 20 degrees; perhaps a snatch block on the rail or a tackle for lifting a dinghy engine. Other wise, just think about it.

I've taken many swivels off and been happier.
Old 27-06-2016, 13:13   #11

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Dinghy davit lines

We struggled with this issue as well. Mike added a single turning pulley at the top and routed the line from the boat through the turning block then down to the lower double pulley before going to the upper pulley. This completely solved the issue for us. Good thing, our line was wearing out fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1467058352.170350.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	127039  
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 13:15   #12

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

Darn iPads!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1467058527.373678.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	127040
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 13:31   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The closer together your blocks come when your dinghy's at full hoist, the more prone things will be to binding. And there's not a huge amount that can be done about that, if you're using a multi-part/purchase tackle. Although the comments about routinely getting all of the twist out of your lines is a good one. Ditto on reaving things properly.
Here's a bit of help on the latter Harken

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
We struggled with this issue as well. Mike added a single turning pulley at the top and routed the line from the boat through the turning block then down to the lower double pulley before going to the upper pulley. This completely solved the issue for us. Good thing, our line was wearing out fast.
I suspected as much. It is still not reeved correctly. 2 and 3 pulley blocks require 90 degree reeving to run right and not wear the line. This is a VERY common error.
(from Harken)

I use 6:1 blocks and they reeve like this:

I believe you will find this is the entire problem for most folks. I know because I made the mistake... once. Not any more (right angle reeving).

Old 27-06-2016, 15:14   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Moontide had it. Using a winch on the davits adds twists to the line – rather like prop walk but instead, think of it as “winch walk”. Here’s how you get rid of the problem. Drop the dinghy into the water; stand in the dinghy underneath the davits with the tailing line unwrapped from the winch and holding the the attachment shackle at the dinghy end for tension, pull on the tailing line. The line between the blocks will still be twisted. Then again pull the shackle end down holding tension on the tailing line. Repeat the process. If you do this four or five times, the twist is transferred to the tailing line and is gone from the blocks. This fix will last a couple of weeks of daily use of the davits before you have to do it again but hey, it beats the hell out of not having a winch.

Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy