Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 16:06   #1

Boat: Watkins29
Timing a ICW trip in two legs

I plan to do the ICW this coming fall. I will be starting from Portsmouth, NH. But because of prior commitments I need to be in New Hampshire during the period October 1st through November 15th. So starting the trip from New Hampshire in November is probably out of the question. I could start out in August or September but need to be back in New Hampshire by October 1st. If I do the trip in two legs. How should I plan the timing. And where would you suggets that I leave the boat between legs?
bermudabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 06:43   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Timing a ICW trip in two legs

Depends on what you mean by "do the ICW." If this is simply a get south trip then you can cover quite a bit of water in two months. I would suggest being south of Norfolk by the end of September. But you still can easily do the Chesapeake Bay in October. You would at least want to be in Annapolis or maybe even Solomons to leave the boat. If you want to be farther south, Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge would be a good place to leave it. If you need to be close to transportation like an airport, Baltimore, Annapolis or Norfolk would all be good locations. The logistics will play an important part in your decision and there are many variables that you haven't given us. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 07:00   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

In addition to the variables that Chuck aptly indicates, check the details of your marine insurance – it may require the vessel to, for example, stay north of Cape Hatteras until Nov.1 to keep tropical storm coverage. We started really late one year (we spent Thanksgiving in Morehead City NC!) – a bit chilly, but beautiful, comfortable, and certainly doable.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 14:54   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Since you probably will be carrying a bit of gear either or both ways, you should also be open to using car rentals. This could open up your options for a berth for your boat.

I have a list of one way rentals from NC to FL that are close to the ICW.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:33   #5

Get as far south as you can and your insurance will allow. Your first leg is in prime hurricane weather and their activity will determine when and where you can go. Mid November can be damn cold as far south as northern Florida.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 10:28   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Bermuda Bob,
As the others have suggested, get as far south as possible by October 1. My recommendation is to get at least to the Chesapeake by then. I've departed the Chesapeake in mid to late November several times, and although it was bit chilly, it was not unpleasant. Also much of the southbound traffic will already be in the Carolinas or Florida by then, so you'll have to share the ICW with only the stragglers and a few Canadians.

One problem with stopping in the Chesapeake is that you will not be convenient to any airport, unless you stop in Hampton or downtown Norfolk. As another poster pointed out you will likely need to find a one-way rental car to get to and from the airports in Baltimore or DC. I've used Hertz in Solomons (actually California, MD) with no extra charge. Other rental companies may charge for a drop-off at other than the pickup location. Some agencies flat refuse to offer this service at any price. You should research the rental situation before you decide on your intermediate stop-off location. Taxi service is available in Annapolis ($$), but not many other places on the Chesapeake.

South of the Chesapeake a good stopping point would be New Bern, NC. There is a small regional airport in town which can get you to Atlanta or Charlotte for a connecting flight back to NH. Oriental is a nice location to leave a boat, but it is a $70 or more taxi ride to the New Bern airport. When I was there in 2009-2010 there were no rental agencies in or near Oriental.

Charleston would be an excellent stopping point, but then you would be only a 24-30 hour sail to FL.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 12:15   #7

You have to get to the Chesapeake by October 15 or you are unlikely to find a weather window to get out of NE. December underway in an open cockpit can be uncomfortably cold anywhere on the ICW above Florida.

As mentioned, check your insurance policy. If you have one that keeps you North, consider switching or at least get a price on a rider. Some allow you to go as far south as the Florida border in hurricane season.

Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah all have non-stop flights to Boston. But lots of places have flights through Charlotte on USAir that are inexpensive and work fine.

A big issue will be finding a marina that's got good monthly rates and you're also comfortable leaving the boat unattended for six weeks. I've done this at River Dunes near Oriental and Osprey Marina in Myrtle Beach and would do it again. I had a great experience in Southport using Hank of Carolina Yacht Care who watched over my boat like he owned it.

50 miles a day is a good planning number for the ICW. 100 miles every three days will be much more fun - you'll have time to see some of the great towns, sit out a heavy rain day, and generally not be driven crazy by the engine. The first couple of times up and down the ICW, most people love it - great scenery, wonderful towns and people. Don't make it a delivery trip if you have the time.

Going offshore is also great if you and your crew both enjoy sailing overnight. Because of the long shallows, it takes quite a while to get out and in from the ICW - not worth it if you aren't going to stay offshore for at least 24 hours.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:52   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
You have to get to the Chesapeake by October 15 or you are unlikely to find a weather window to get out of NE. December underway in an open cockpit can be uncomfortably cold anywhere on the ICW above Florida.

Carl
Weather can be a funny thing. So this is the kind of statement that might be misleading. Perhaps in the New York or New England area this may be true. Having done the Chesapeake to Key West since 1987, I have encountered days in October, November and even December that were beautiful and spring-like. And a specific date like October 15th is also just not realistic. Being born and raised on the Chesapeake Bay, October is often one of the best months to sail on the Bay. We have had days on the lower Chesapeake in those months with temps in the 70's every day and we have had near freezing temps in Daytona, Florida. Yes, get south as early as possible. But we have traveled south on the Chesapeake and beyond Norfolk in December and were very comfortable.We have had gale conditions on the Bay in September. Weather is one of those variables that you will need to consider at any time of the year and be prepared for delays in your transit. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 07:07   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Last time I was in New York (yes, I am LOVING it!) I left on 18th of September to Norfolk. It turned out to be the last real weather window.

So my advice is to get to Norfolk mid September.

Remember 90% of sinkings and deaths are from boats not sailing in the right season. Don't stretch it. Don't listen to bs like "the Chesepeake is ok till the end of the Boat Show" because the Boat Show is two weeks later than it used to be!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 08:18   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Yes, you will have beautiful days sailing on the Chesapeake October and November. Guaranteed. But you will also have miserable days as well, so it comes down to whether you are willing to sit tight, or how much discomfort you want to take.

With regard to using a car rental to expand your transportation options, I looked at my list (5 years old so needs to be checked) and see that very close or reasonably close locations can be found in NC at Morehead City, Wilmington, New Bern, and Southport; in SC at Little River, Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, and Hilton Head; in GA at Savannah and Brunswick.

It used to be only Hertz and Avis for one way rentals. Enterprise does now as well, but not sure if they will let you cross state lines.

I like to promote this as I figure the more business they get, the more likely these operations (which may be small) will continue to be there for me.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 14:34   #11

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

I would not head south of Annapolis without attending the Annapolis In the Water Boat Show which is around the second week of October. Not to be missed if in the area. Along with many other cruisers, have never had weather preventing me from getting to ICW mile 1 within 3 or 4 days, not much later than mid-October.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:49   #12

I've got a similar issue this coming Fall. I can start heading south from Annapolis in Oct or November but am looking for somewhere to leave the boat through March 1st. Would it be reasonable to leave it in Charleston for Jan/Feb or should I go further South?

RandomTravels
RandomTravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw